Serving the needs of the faithful in Southwestern Ontario

St. Mary’s Cemetery

584872 Beachville Road; Old Hwy # 2
St. Mary Statue

Office:

Holy Trinity Parish, 1420 Devonshire Ave, Woodstock, ON  N4S 7V9, 519-539-0876

St. Mary’s Cemetery Bylaws

Our cemetery was first established in 1874 and was located to the west and north sides of St. Mary’s Church on Oxford Street in Woodstock.  As the city grew this location became inadequate and the current land was purchased in 1930.  The new site comprised of 4.78 acres in total.  In the fall of 1930 the work of transferring the bodies form the former cemetery had begun.  Every effort was taken to obtain consent to transfer from existing families of those buried there.

As time went on and the city of Woodstock grew, there were four local Catholic churches burying in this cemetery.  A Board was formed to assist the parish priest in overseeing the greater needs of the cemetery with representatives from each of these four churches.

In 1984 an additional 17 acres to the west of the cemetery was purchased.  

In 2010 the Board began the planning and eventually the development of this new property as cemetery grounds.  Our first burial on this new site was in the spring of 2014.

In 2006 Holy Trinity Parish was formed following the amalgamation of St. Rita’s and St. Mary’s churches.  The Cemetery is now in the care of Holy Trinity Parish located at it’s new facility on Devonshire Ave in Woodstock.

It is our hope to provide a tranquil place of eternal rest for many generations of Catholics and their families for years to come.

St. Mary grounds

Quick facts:

The first person to be buried on these grounds was a Mary Slattery on October 20, 1932.
The Calvary monument at the top of the hill was donated in 1932 by Patrick Greenlees in memory of his late wife Annie Allen.

The first acting woman mayor of Woodstock, Bernadette Smith is buried here.

Eleven members of the former Ukrainian Studite Monks who emigrated to Canada in 1951 following WW11 are all buried here.  The last of this Canadian order was Fr. Jozeph Mokrycky who died in 2002.

The statue of the Blessed Virgin at the entrance was donated from the former St. Mary’s Church following its closure in 2006 and was re-dedicated in 2008.