Serving the needs of the faithful in Southwestern Ontario
English

Cemetery Sites

HEAVENLY REST (Cemetery Grounds Map)

Heavenly Rest Cemetery is the largest property among our family of seven Catholic Cemeteries in the Windsor-Essex area. It is truly the centre for peoples of all faiths, as well as those with no definable faith, to plan, honour and remember their loved ones.

cem_hrcEstablished in 1929 it has been a distinctive landmark for citizens from all walks of life in and around the Windsor-Essex community and the preeminent resting place for area Catholics.

Situated on 75 acres in the southwest corner of Windsor, the setting with its historic sculptures and stunning monuments, is a beacon for peace and prayer, entwined with beautifully landscaped gardens, waterfalls and ponds. Not only is it a sacred and peaceful setting for the deceased, it’s park-like setting and serenity has become an all-season destination for nature lovers.

Today, Heavenly Rest Cemetery provides the region with the most comprehensive of services and state-of-the-art facilities and is truly dedicated to serving the needs of a vibrant multi-cultural community. We invite you to visit us, to tour the grounds and facilities, and to plan for the future. Directions

 

cem_alphonsusST. ALPHONSUS (Cemetery Grounds Map)


Located within the Windsor downtown area, St. Al’s Cemetery (as it has come to be known) was established circa 1874, according to available records. Its oldest section resides on the North side of Ottawa St., but also extends to border on the surrounding Shepherd St. E., Howard Ave. and Allendale St. Its most recognizable landmark is the Kennedy Mausoleum (visible from the Howard Ave. side of the property) a memoriam to the former Minister of Railways and Canals, the Hon. William Costello (1868-1923) and his wife Mary Eleanor Kennedy.
Directions

 

cem_assumption

ASSUMPTION (Cemetery Ground Map)

At its present site, the Assumption Cemetery (located at the intersection of Wyandotte St. West and Huron Church Rd.) was established in 1859, when then-Bishop Pinsonneault relocated it from the Cemetery’s second home, the area we know now as Assumption Park. However, remains interred on-site today can actually be traced back as far as 1795, initially part of the Cemetery’s first home (1781) next to Assumption Church – itself founded as a parish in 1767 and standing as the oldest in Ontario. Within eye (and ear-shot) of the Ambassador Bridge, Assumption Cemetery also notably contains the Basilian Fathers’ plot that dates back to 1870.
Directions

 

cem_lady

OUR LADY OF THE LAKE (Cemetery Grounds Map)

Residing next to what is now the Descent of the Holy Ghost Russian Orthodox Church (formerly Our Lady of the Rosary, according to records) on Seminole St. in Windsor, Our Lady of the Lake Cemetery recorded its first burial in 1891 after establishment in 1890. Of note, it features various burial options, including a veteran’s section that features the Walter W. Miller cenotaph.

Directions

 

 

 

cem_sacred_heartSACRED HEART (Cemetery Grounds Map)

Sacred Heart Cemetery lies adjacent to the Sacred Heart Church between Divine St., Sacred Heart Dr. and Boismier Ave. in LaSalle, ON. Its first recorded burial occurred in 1921 and is still actively-utilized by parishioners and other residents alike, with both burial and cremation options offered therein.

Directions

 

 

 

 

cem_rose_hillROSE HILL (Cemetery Grounds Map)

The first deed to Rose Hill Cemetery was issued March 13, 1865 (according to verifiable records) with the official consecration taking place in 1866; however, several memorials indicate death dates back to 1840. It borders on land adjacent to St. John the Baptist Cemetery, with the properties collectively referred to as the Amherstburg Cemeteries, featuring the Amherstburg Mausoleum.

Directions

 

 

 

St. John the Baptist CemeteryST. JOHN THE BAPTIST (Cemetery Grounds Map)

A true Essex County heritage site, St. John the Baptist Cemetery is one of the oldest cemeteries in the region. The official adoption of the land by the Roman Catholic Episcopal Corporation of the Diocese of London was in 1857. St. John the Baptist burial records indicate that the cemetery was in use by the end of 1864. Memorials, however, date back even further. It borders on land adjacent to Rose Hill Cemetery, with the properties collectively referred to as the Amherstburg Cemeteries, featuring the Amherstburg Mausoleum.
Directions